Skills test

koalablue

Want to pass my skills test so bad
HI,
Well, I decided to ride as both my son's ride nad my nefphew. I wanted to learn this year so I bought a Harley Davidson Sportster 883. I did the right thing and paid to learn at "Pro-Ride" . All strated out great, had my 2 classroom and started my 2 day in the parking lot drills. I fell just before we were to practice the skills test. Busted up my ankle and I could not even walk on it. They said to give it a rest and come back the next week..... My ankle took 10 days to be able to even put a boot back on. I rented a smaller 250 bike to practice on... my son was so patient, and it was the hotest summer day ever... we started at 10 am , by the time I got to do my skills test I was mentally shot... the u-turn I was practicing was much bigger then the skills test... I was shaking , so nervous.. and yes I failed.
I was all ready to take the test again the following week when my nephew was in a tragic bike accident in Seattle. I have spent the past month sitting beside his bed with his wife. Last weeeknd I stayed in home in Vancouver as I determined to pass the test for my nephew as that is all he wanted this summer to ride with me...... all summer the weather has been hot and sunny, the skills test night, it poured so hard and was so dark at 7pm... I could not believe it, even the instructor said why tonight.....
yep... I failed once again... I felt defeated , frustrated and just so sad.... my nephew came out of his coma yesturday, so here i am again... Is there any one out there, who would like to spare a little bit of their day to help me get over this crazy mind block of doing the u-turn. .... I would love to have a mentor, to ride with as my sons have given up on me, said that if I cannot pass I am not able to ride . Plain and simple.... well, that is my story, ......cheers.....Denise

Last edited:

LegalAlien

Super Moderator
Hi Denise/koalablue​,

:welcome: to BC Riders.
That was quite the story, at least your ankle is doing better and now lets hope your nephew will have a full recover.
But for your MST; it was a smart move to rent the 250, it's so much easier (and better) to start out on a lighter machine. In a perfect world you would practice on a small bike, do your MST on the same small bike, then your road test and next ride the .... out of it for a whole season, after that you can upgrade, if you still want to, to more power.
I hope you will find a mentor (just play the guilt trip on one of your sons :sinister:), but until someone volunteers (I live too far away, sorry) find an empty parking lot and practice by yourself. First start out with bigger u-turns and as you're feeling more comfortable, make them smaller. Practice makes perfect (and not just the evening before the MST ;)).

Important is to keep your foot (slightly) on the rear brake and use your throttle to keep it riding. There is nothing wrong to practice this technique in a straight line before you start applying it in a turn, get the feel of riding your bike at a slow pace with you foot constantly on the rear brake first.

Good luck Denise.

Last edited:

SilverD

Please don't take this the wrong way, but sell or park the Harley, It’s not a good bike to learn on, way too heavy.

Buy yourself an old beater 250/400/500 and continue. I'd suggest starting with another school, using their bike to learn on and pass the MST.

I believe some of the other schools will shepherd you right through the process. Then once you've passed the MST ride the little bike as much as you can, pass the final test, increase your confidence by riding the hell out of it, and then get on the Harley.

Good luck

koalablue

Thank you all your help. ... I am back sitting in the hospital watching my nephew, he came out of the coma, now with time we hope he will be able to do regular day activitites . Time will tell.... It has been an eye opener to how vulnerable u are on a bike. I understand how my sons feel about me riding.... I think I will put the away this year ,as the season is drawing to a close, and decide what my feelings are next year. The sad thing is that everyday I leave for work I see it sitting there..... Thank u every one for your helpful advice...:thewave:

LegalAlien

Super Moderator
.... It has been an eye opener to how vulnerable u are on a bike....
That's why it is so important to start on a small(er) bike and learn to make it an extension of your body and not a (killing)machine that takes you for a ride.

Say Hi to your nephew from all of us at BC Riders, and wish him a full recovery and a safe return to that life long addiction called motorcycles. :thumbup:

koalablue

Thank you for your reply. I have looked at utube videos on doing the u- turn every night. You know I ride with my sons to various destinations ... I do really well. In traffic, riding around bends, cornering , but as soon as I try to do the skis st, I get so nervous , I panick , I feel the confidence dropping .... I have to get over the fact that it is a test. I hate not finishing the course . I can take it any Sunday till I pass.... Appreciate your message

Kootenanny

Just seeing this today. If you were out here, I'd say to come on by...but it's a long drive from West Van (I lived in North Van for many years, but now I'm in the Koots, and loving it!).

What others have said...first off, the 883 is NOT the bike to learn on (if you need to have a Harley, about the closest thing to a good learning bike they have/had is the Buell Blast). A small, light bike will make the process much easier...l helped a buddy this summer learn on his Honda CBR250R, and it definitely was a big help (he also had trouble with the U-turn, but we got him through it).

Very sorry to hear about your nephew. Yes, we're vulnerable out there...which is why many motorcyclists wear full gear, including full-face helmets, no matter what the weather. But the best safety gear you can have is between your ears...learn the skills and how to avoid dangerous situations (well, as much as you can, anyway).

As for youtube videos--take a look at these: Howzit Done? With Capt. Crash - YouTube

koalablue

Yeah.... I would come by but Kootany's is a bit of a trek... thanks for the offer. I agree about about full gear, I have it all... my nephew was not wearing a full face, much to us telling him our fears. The states do not have rules like we do here in BC.