Passing a construction lineup.

Smokin Sam

It is late for construction season but... here in BC I am told that us biker types are to proceed "safely" past the line up to the front of the line when it is stopped for highway construction. A few different flaggers have told me this but I cannot find this in writting. Does anyone else know about this?

Dudette

It is late for construction season but... here in BC I am told that us biker types are to proceed "safely" past the line up to the front of the line when it is stopped for highway construction. A few different flaggers have told me this but I cannot find this in writting. Does anyone else know about this?
Well....I've been flagging a few times and IT IS NOT something I was told to instruct bikes to do. BUT....I've seen many do it.

LegalAlien

Super Moderator
I don't think so, passing on the left is dangerous with oncoming traffic and people that, accidentally on purpose, could open their door. Passing on the shoulder has the same "door issue" plus it's illegal.
Besides that, usually there is a temporary "no passing" sign.

schmii

have been called to the front of the line some times. Machinery can't see a bike if it's hidden behind car was the reasoning. I doubt anyone expects or is instructed to let bikes ahead of construction lines.

Dudette

have been called to the front of the line some times. Machinery can't see a bike if it's hidden behind car was the reasoning. I doubt anyone expects or is instructed to let bikes ahead of construction lines.
If the line is stopped the position of the bikes is irrelevant since they are not moving around the working machinery. The line should be released and move only when the machinery is stopped or the traffic passing far enough from the working area. My thoughts anyway......

wildbillers

Perhaps the Flagger you came across is one of the following....
1: a bike lover
2: wants your phone number
3: really doesn't like you and was hoping you would be busted for riding the shoulder

who knows???

:D:D

GoldRush

Old Post

This is in reply to an old post and about going to the front of a line, but just not a construction line.

BC Ferries has a practice of always putting the bikes up front of the line and loading them first, First on First off. I arrived at Horseshoe Bay last August just in time for the loading to start,I was ushered pass everyone to the front with the rest of the bikes, past people that had obviously been waiting for awhile.
On chatting with a couple of bikers I found out one of them worked in Van. and lives in Naniamo so he uses his MC just for that reason,always first on first off. Not being a regular Ferry user I did'nt know that.Good thing to know if you ever want to go to the Island...I liked the price too $14 cause
I'm uhhhh 65.

Last edited:

Smokin Sam

I've enjoyed that privelege too on a few occasions. You can come in quite late regardless of the lineup, go right in past all the traffic, park and have a coffee while all the cages shuffle in. They wave you to the front.
I'm told that the construction thing is kinda like that, a privelege. Proceed past on the left if it is SAFE to do so. It is still hearsay because I have not found it in writing yet.

GoldRush

Smithers

Just noticed you're my neighbour, howdy neighbour :) Haven't had any of that white stuff here yet so we're doin good compared to some years.
I pass through there wherever I go Duhhh :) but also atv the back way through Telkwa pass at least a couple of times a year especially now we
don't have to go through Milk Creek since the new trail connected the logging road to the pass.If I'm not Biking I'm atving, ohh can't forget fishing :)
Cheers ;)

Smokin Sam

I gotta go to Ripbum on Monday. Coffee? 1-877-547-4044 is my toll free.
I'm right next door to the Honda shop in Smithers. They are very cool cuz they send EVERYONE with a Wing or street bike over to my shop. They have an excellent mechanic but they only do off road stuff. My other neighbor is Plan B Brewery. Ain't life great!

Twinsport

Ive been waved up to the front in the interior but on the Island here Ive never had it happen. It is nice when it does. About 5 km out of New Denver after the road was closed over night due to a washout. No traffic till Nakusp.