Newbie ride down to Gilchrist in Tsawassen.

ShadowSurfer

The 20th looks like it will be sunny, a friend and I are thinking of a newbie ride down to Gilchrist in Tsawassen and over to Crescent Beach after for coffee and snack or maybe lunch, depending on the weather and time. We'll probably start out in Burnaby and can take a route that goes near other riders who want to join. Post up if you're interested along with an easy place to meet.

Last edited by a moderator:

ShadowSurfer

Start around 10 near Burquitlam, head into Vancouver for a short stop to meet other riders and then head south. Depends partially on Thursday and Friday, early morning frost on those days will mean a later start.

ShadowSurfer

Latest route
1) Tims @ North & Cameron in BBY 10am
2) Trev Deeley - front lot facing Boundary 10:30
3) Shell - Knight and 41st Vancouver - 10:45-11

Any other pickup points can be added, so if a new rider is uncomfortable solo we can make it easier for them.

ShadowSurfer

Work came up, so I'll be unable to make this ride. Scott will be running the ride in my place, watch for a red jacket on a KLR, riding 2-up.

Latest route
1) Tims @ North & Cameron in BBY 10am
2) Trev Deeley - front lot facing Boundary 10:30
3) Petrocanada - Clark and Broadway 10:30 - 10:45
4) Shell - Knight and 41st Vancouver - 10:45-11

Last edited:

ShadowSurfer

This intersection is an important one, and the stop here serves a couple purposes.

Gilchrist and Sixth in Tsawassen is where Orion Hutchinson was struck and killed by the (allegedly) impaired Cpl Benjamin 'Monty' Robinson of the RCMP, who went home to celebrate this achievement with a few drinks before returning to the scene of the crime to take credit for taking a 'hooligan' biker off the road. For this he is facing a charge of 'Attempting to Obstruct Justice' and been given a paid holiday for the last year.

1) Rallies are held at the Surrey court along with the court appearances, but this only lets a few people know. By riding out on a Saturday and paying respects to a downed rider, more will become aware of this tragedy and the travesty of justice.

2) New and old riders need to remind themselves of the risks they take every time they ride. It was to face this risk that we began riding together, for safety in numbers. We cannot count on anyone other than ourselves out there, and for that we 'ride our own ride' no matter how large a group we are in.

Ride Safe!!!

LegalAlien

Super Moderator
By riding out on a Saturday and paying respects to a downed rider, more will become aware of this tragedy and the travesty of justice.
That is great to make this part of the (newbie)ride.
Sometimes I wish I would live closer to the Lower Mainland. (But most of the time not ;)). I hope a decent size group will show up.
Again, great initiative ShadowSurfer :rockon:.
Have a safe ride everybody!

amir.bakovic

How was the ride?
If it hasn't happened yet I would most certainly like to join you at any time after tomorow as tomorow I re-insure my bike for the next 3 months.

ShadowSurfer

All accounts so far are great, I only wish work hadn't come up last minute, but...

Might do it again April 3, the court (non)appearances of Monty have so far been every two weeks.

NEXT JUSTICE FOR ALL RALLY - MARCH 23
Monty Robinson's next court date is Tuesday, March 23, 2010

His next appearance is APW, which means application for warrant. Definition: Used as the next appearance reason when an application for a warrant is made after the non appearance of the accused is noted.

Due to our failing system, a young motorcyclist by the name of Orion Hutchinson has lost his life by a suspected drunk driver and the person responsible for this tragedy, RCMP officer Cpl Benjamin "Monty" Robinson is potentially getting away with it.

You do not need to be a motorcyclist to care about this issue or attend these rallies.

If you are able to take even a couple of hours off work to attend the rally from just 9-9:30AM if you can't stay for the court appearance, that would be great.

Next Rally:
Tuesday, March 23, 2010 at 9:00 AM meet outside the court house
9:30 AM proceed to court room 101

Surrey Provincial Court House
14340 57th Avenue
Surrey, BC

This is a peaceful rally

More information can be found here: Crown vs Robinson - Rally at Surrey Provincial Courthouse | Facebook

ShadowSurfer

This Saturday (the 10th) looks good for weather so I'll make this ride again. Today would have been Orion's birthday. Same stops and times, bring something to leave at the memorial for Orion. I'm a little disgusted on how they timed the release of info about Orion with Robinson's 'not guilty' plea in an attempt to publically exonerate Robinson by bashing on his latest victim. His paid vacation will continue for the next year, as his trial will start April '11.

LegalAlien

Super Moderator
Have a great ride guys, let's hope it stays dry and there's not the wind that has been pestering us lately. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed.

Ducatista

Hi guys, sorry was a tad late at the Knight St/41st rendezvous. Jetted over directly to Crescent beach in White Rock and am here waiting. Currently 1215pm - hope am at the right place. Will hang out a bit. Got here at 1130am.

Ducatista

Headed out at 140pm - sorry I missed you guys. Stopped by the little memorial at 6th / Gilchrist on the way back - wonder if Robinson was coming down that hill on 6th or if Orion was - there are no visual obstacles and the streets are pretty wide so its obvious Robinson was totally whacked and shouldn't have been driving. Anyway, will catch up with you next time. Keep me posted.

BTW, had the best asparagus lunch ever at Harbour House Japanese Restaurant while waiting. Here's a picture:

Dudette

Headed out at 140pm - sorry I missed you guys. Stopped by the little memorial at 6th / Gilchrist on the way back - wonder if Robinson was coming down that hill on 6th or if Orion was - there are no visual obstacles and the streets are pretty wide so its obvious Robinson was totally whacked and shouldn't have been driving. Anyway, will catch up with you next time. Keep me posted.

BTW, had the best asparagus lunch ever at Harbour House Japanese Restaurant while waiting. Here's a picture:

That looks pretty good....indeed. Hey LegalAlien.....maybe we'll have to hook up and ride down for a quick lunch at this place....and back......:woot:

ShadowSurfer

Sorry to miss you too. We hit the Shell right at 11, waited about ten minutes. We headed straight to the memorial at Gilchrist. I agree, it's an open T intersection, no excuses. For me, the round trip is 3-4 hours including coffee/snack, so I'll be doing it some evenings. On the return trip, River Road was nice and we went through the 'Cow Tunnel' for a lark. I'd like to vary the return route, but if I've posted it for noobs, we may take the same route back so they get back into their home area. It's not a bad short practice run, you can do urban, highway and rural riding all inside of an hour.

Had a great lunch at 'The Landing Pub' in Ladner, impressive menu for a pub. Great food too.

Dudette

Sad enough, I know you would be crazy enough to mean it and do it too.

Of course.......or else I wouldn't mention it. So...are you in??? It's a perfect ride on an early sunny day. Take off here....take 24 across jump on 97 down to 1 CANYON WHERE I LOVE TO MAKE NOISE....down for lunch...and back on the Coque (5) (faster way back home) and home we are.
Just a nice full day or fun riding........:)

LegalAlien

Super Moderator
Yes, we should put that on our (Clearwater Riders) Trip Calendar.
I'll send you a PM with a question for our other trip.