Thread: 45,000km warning

Wink 45,000km warning

I've been busy this week. These are from four different motorcycles I am working on. ALL of them have less than 50,000 on the clock. #2 pic has only 46,000 on it and is usually well maintained. The oil pump is done on one and the cams are history on a couple as well. All are going to get gear drive cams (some bigger than others), new bearings and new OEM tappets. Problem solved! A couple are getting bigger pistons, a little compression, super E carb, hi zoot ignition and ported & polished heads too.

Attachment 579

Can you say "worn out"? What noise?

Attachment 580

You call it a "warning" and mentioned that one is "usually well maintained" so, could this have been prevented on all 4 bikes?
    "Teach me to do it myself" Dr. Maria Montessori (1870-1952)

BC Riders Member # 20

All four had worn out tensioner shoes and the hard surfacing was just starting to come off of the cams. Three were bone stock touring bikes when they came in. They all had regular services I think. The other one had an agent for "tough test" as an operator. (Most Dynas don't wheelie at a buck sixty.) We count on him to do all of our R&D cuz if he can't break it nobody can.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin Sam View Post
    We count on him to do all of our R&D cuz if he can't break it nobody can.
    I like that quote ........

Default All in a days work.

His "little" Dyna runs 11's on street tires. Unfortunately he eats the odd part. His stuff is on the right and will all be replaced by a Fueling pump and plate this year. His fly wheel manufacture came good for his wheels on warranty after 3-4 years of use. They had spread and took out the pump.

Here is the solution to the problem. Loose the little tensioner thingies. Put some gear drives in. I choose Andrews and/or S&S cams for different riding styles.

Attachment 592
    Last edited by Smokin Sam; 03-24-2010 at 02:53 PM.

Default check these odds

Don't forget to check the crank run out. Three out of four were on the max .003 run out tolerance. That is so close to wheels being on the junk heap but is still allowed by the cam manufacture.... The fourth was firmly out of tolerance and the wheels had to be replaced.

Attachment 594

Here is an update. Everyone is running except the 106 cu in. He is still waiting for some extra hi zoot parts to arrive this week. The two stockers went out running much better according to their owners. The hi comp 95 in has enuff break in miles to crank it! The results were large indelible sh!t eating grins. Thats what I'm talkin about!

Thread Information