Thread: Stuck Bolt Will Not Budge HELP

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Question Stuck Bolt Will Not Budge HELP

I recently purchased a Memphis Shades Batwing Fairing Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fairing.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	751.0 KB 
ID:	2552 that I was very excited to install on my bike. Everything seemed to be going fine until I came across one hex bolt that seems to have been put in place by that hands of Thor. It will not budge. I have tried WD40 to no avail, then went and got something a bit more powerful Super Creep which is meant to help with corrosion and loosen off the bolt and still no help. We tried using an impact drill to break the bolt free and instead broke the bit and the bolt remained snug as a bug. I’m not really sure what else to do to try and get this bolt out so I can install the fairing. The bolt is close to striping if I try to much else and I don’t want to drill it as I need to install a new bolt for the fairing mounts to fit on. I might try taking a chisel and hitting into the side of the bolt and seeing if that make breaks it free but I really don't know... Any ideas? Maybe a suggestion where to take it?
    Last edited by verdo; 02-09-2017 at 01:45 PM.

3 months registered500 Experience Points

This sounds like a Galling effect more than a macho man or corrosion effect. SS 'stainless steel' especially is more prone to that than other mediums if that is what it is..

The only option I see is to break and/or cut the fastener then replace without to much damage to the unit itself
    FrogDogz Ridez

-
    Google +
    - YouTube

3 months registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Well after quite some time a fussing and worrying about this stupid bolt I took it in to Daytona Motorsports and the guys in the back were able to get it out in no more then 10 min. Glad to have gotten it out and was able to install the fairing. The bolt itself had no corrosion on it once removed, was clean. Just a pain. Oh well trouble behind and the open road in front! Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Batwing_fairing.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	2558

Thread Information