Thread: Homemade Sissy Bar Build

Junior Member Achievements:
    3 months registeredTagger Second Class500 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Master Tagger

Default Homemade Sissy Bar Build

Hi there,

I've been doing a lot of research about how to make a sissy bar and I was wondering if there is anyone out there who might have already done it and could give me a little guidance. So far I have made a cardboard template for a mount that is all sized up and has drill holes in the correct spot.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170109_143935[1].jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	574.0 KB 
ID:	2550 I was thinking of making the mount out of 1/8 in or 1/4 in sheet of cold rolled steel. I figured I would be able to cut the plate fairly easy with grinder and then be able to smooth out the edges after. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170109_150100[1].jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	539.0 KB 
ID:	2551 For the bar it self I was going to use 5/8 in cold rolled round stock, about 6ft so that I can get about 2.5 - 3ft worth of bar. The most basic way to bend it would be to heat it and bend around a pipe using a vice or a welded template. was wondering if anyone out there has done this or something like it or if you know of anywhere in Vancouver that can do it fairly cheap for me? Or is there any shop space anywhere that will let me make it there as I don't have a welder or torches? I've heard of makerlabs ( makerlabs.com ) but they are a bit expensive. Maybe someone else has equipment at home and they also wanna try and do it we can work on it together and trade and share ideas... I'm just trying to see whats out there and what people know.

Thanks a lot everyone!

3 months registered500 Experience Points

I would say at least the 1/4" plate for the fender strut bracket, you don't have to use cold roll.. if you scanned it as a .pdf I could cut it on a plasma table but drill the holes

About the solid round stock, cold roll is fine but I would recommend having it bent cold by a bending company such as Pacific Bending ..
    bending cold is always stronger and I'd guess it's a small center line radius, bending with heat you will probably screw it up a few times

This is only my opinion
    Cheer'z
    Froggy
    FrogDogz Ridez

-
    Google +
    - YouTube

Awards:
    Master Tagger

Thanks for the reply and the advice, I’m basically just trying to figure out the cheapest route to get what I’m looking for and have fun doing it, my biggest issue right now is trying to find people who can weld it for me. I have the ability (or a ticketed friend) although it’s been a few years, just not the equipment. My idea is going to realistically create a very “rustic” finished product to say the least ahah. I like the idea of doing as much of the work as I can myself but the reality of the task is going to be a bit much for a guy who lives in an apartment in kitsalano and dosen’t have the space or many of the tools haha. I was thinking of cutting my bracket with a grinder  that I would borrow from a friend and try and smooth the cuts out as best I could. For the drill holes we have a drill press and was still kind of stuck on the bending and welding. I like the idea of a cold bend as it won’t discolour the metal in anyway but depending on cost I figured that using heat was the cheapest route to take. How much would you think it would cost to plasma cut the brackets? I will send your benders an email and see what they can offer me in terms of quotes and advice.

Much appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by verdo View Post
    . How much would you think it would cost to plasma cut the brackets?
    That part I could do in good faith including a donation of Coors Light cans to share amongst weekend friends.. I'll even weld the puppy up for ya no worries..

On the down side, I need to feel it a safety wise project including mounting or I will recant

I don't think a anyone in an apartment anywhere would attempt to build a rat bike.

Cheer'z
    FrogDogz Ridez

-
    Google +
    - YouTube

Awards:
    Master Tagger

Yeah there is no way that I would be able to achieve what I would like where I am specially like you said to have something that is done properly to be safely mounted onto a bike. Metal work and an apartment don’t really go all that great together. I was looking into some of the coop workshops that are in town but for the size of the project it’s not economical it would run upwards of $300 in membership fees and for a couple of bars for my friend and I it really did make sense and that’s what brought me to the forum here.

The safety and durability of the bars is something I’m concerned with, I wanna make sure it can take some weight and not fly off the bike, I was able to watch a few of your videos yesterday and seems like you have the knowhow. I really appreciate the offer to help me out with these it just so happens that I know just the place to get some Coors light cans.

Thanks FrogDog

Quote Originally Posted by verdo View Post
    I really appreciate the offer to help me out with these it just so happens that I know just the place to get some Coors light cans.

Thanks FrogDog
    LOL.. kewl.. keep me in the loop, but PM me when you have a solid thing going on.. we can go from there

Cheer'z
    FrogDogz Ridez

-
    Google +
    - YouTube

Thread Information